Thursday, March 18, 2010

FOLLOW YOUR NOSE


I could smell it before I saw it, that first sure sign of spring. Just the faintest whiff of honey came wafting through my open windows, luring me outside like a beckoning finger. I had no choice but to follow it back to its source. It led me on a merry chase, as the signs were small and subtle, not big and flashy, but at last I spotted it. Well, not it. Them. They were everywhere! Every one of the native agarita shrubs on the property had suddenly sprouted coats of tiny yellow blossoms. After the blooms will come berries, which are supposedly great for making jelly, but I'll have to be desperately hungry before I'll ever be tempted to make it. Those shrubs are prickly sons of guns!

It won't be long until the honey scent is replaced with that of grape bubblegum or Kool-aid, but I won't need to search for the source. I'll know exactly where to look, for I saw the signs just yesterday. The Texas Mountain Laurels are budding out!

5 comments:

Pamela Price said...

I sniffed these flowers for the first time this week over in Henly! They are heavenly.

Anonymous said...

i really enjoy all your writing style, very remarkable,
don't give up and keep penning because it simply just good worth to look through it,
impatient to looked over far more of your current content, stunning day :)

musingegret said...

Mmmm, I love the Mountain Laurel's fragrance---pure Concord grape juice!

On another note:

Sunset Valley Farmers Market moves to Barton Creek

http://news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=269604

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hmmm, Sunset Valley is the one I usually go to, because it's furthest south. Where is Barton Creek Mall exactly?

musingegret said...

Here's the old Sunset Valley site; scroll down to bottom of home page to read various directions to Barton Creek Square Mall and where the market is located now in back of Dillards.

http://www.sunsetvalleyfarmersmarket.org/