Monday, February 8, 2010

RANDOM GLEANINGS FROM STORIES FROM THE HEART V





  • The rash of blog-inspired book deals is probably over. Turns out, they didn't sell all that well. At least, not the ones that were just a re-hash of what you'd read in their blogs.
  • 1 in 4 females, and 1 in 5 males, will have been sexually abused by the time they are 18, and incest is not nearly as rare as you would think.
  • Writing heals.
  • You can have "clouds" of categories on the sidebar of your blog, and there is also a place called "The Cloud", where back-ups can be stored.
  • Adding video to a blog is probably not as difficult as I have been imagining.
  • There is a gizmo out there that looks just like a big fat fountain pen, and when you write with it on special paper, your writing can then be uploaded directly to your computer. It can record sound too! Whatever you do, don't tell John.
  • I should have taken my camera charger with me.
  • If you want to get people to share stories about someone's life - like at a funeral or birthday gathering - start with the youngest person in the room. Most kids are thrilled to be asked for their input on something, and their stories will trigger others to chime in.
  • Matt's El Rancho makes a mighty fine chile relleno.
  • Volunteering to help out at a function is a great way to make new friends.
  • One should always sing while in a public restroom stall.

7 comments:

Rhonda Esakov said...

I'll be singing in the stalls too!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Rhonda, I love the way that woman thinks, don't you?

Everyone Else: Our final speaker was an Austin woman named Mary Gordon Spence, and she was just a hoot and a half! She told us a story about being on the john in a restaurant down in Mexico. She was just a-singin' away, as was her habit, when suddenly a voice in the next stall called, "Mary Gordon, is that you?" Turns out it was one of her cousins. Neither even knew the other was in Mexico, and if she hadn't been singing, they might have missed each other completely!

Linda Hoye said...

LOL, Becky! I tried to tell that singing-in-the-stall story to my husband when I got home but it lost something in translation! I guess I'm just a common tater.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I was trying to tell John the commentator/common tater story over the phone today!

musingegret said...

I hopped over to Becca Taylor's blog whose link was on Linda Hoye's blog and read all about the Lifescribe pen----very, very cool. I had no idea such a thing existed. What a great way to capture Morning Pages! Loved the random gleanings list and learned a lot; gracias.

susanalbert said...

There are NO (repeat NO) common taters at SCN, Linda!

Love your gleanings, Becky--thanks for sharing!

Rhonda, I can hear you all the way over in Burnet County. Do you often wear pink socks??

susanalbert said...

There are NO (repeat NO) common taters at SCN, Linda!

Love your gleanings, Becky--thanks for sharing!

Rhonda, I can hear you all the way over in Burnet County. Do you often wear pink socks??