Tuesday, February 23, 2010

PROPERTY VS. PEOPLE





To say I am not a big fan of property owner's associations would be a bit of an understatement. Oh, in theory they sound pretty good, don't they? Who wouldn't want to protect the value of their biggest investment? The thing is, in order to be really good at running one of these things, it is pretty much a given that you have to be someone who places the value of your property above what used to be the most valuable ingredient in any neighborhood - people being neighborly.

Having lived in the suburbs most of our marriage, we have had plenty of experience with these groups. I thought the one outside of Houston took the cake. Right after we closed on our house, we received a package in the mail. It was about the size and weight of a telephone book. As soon as I tore the wrapper off, I knew we were in trouble, for it contained about 500 pages worth of deed restrictions! Apparently, we weren't supposed to hang a birdhouse in our front yard, without first getting it approved by the association. Not only that, they wanted each and every house - of which there were hundreds, each looking so much like the next that we had trouble finding ours at first - to plant two oak trees out front. Guess they never heard about oak wilt, and the way it can travel from root to root, killing every tree for miles if there are too many, too close together.

Anyhoo, by the end of that first year, if you were to ask anyone on our block which house had the prettiest yard, I'm pretty sure they would have picked ours (at least, that's what they kept telling us!). I had finally completed the horticulture/landscape design program at Richland College just before we left Dallas, and had since landed a job at a very cool nursery with a generous employee discount, so I knocked myself out on this one. Why then, were we forever being written up by the P.O.A? Good question! It was right after John gave me that beautiful glass gazing ball and stand that we got our first warning notice. Turns out, we were only allowed to have a maximum of three "ornaments" in our yard, and since I had those two beautiful flower-filled pots on my porch, and a tiny angel-on-a-swing ornament hanging from a tree limb, this gazing ball put us over the limit. Soooo, we took it inside...for a few days. Then, upon our neighbors' advisement, we put it right back out again, until the next time the ornament nazi made her rounds. (What kind of person would choose to spend her days that way?)

You can imagine how relieved we were to leave all that behind, when we moved here to these four acres outside of Wimberley. Ok, now that you are picturing our glee, imagine how we felt when we attended our first annual neighborhood meeting here, expecting a friendly get-together and a chance to visit with all of our new neighbors, only to find ourselves in the middle of another P.O.A. - one that was gearing up to launch WWIII!

7 comments:

d.a. said...

Awww, H3LL NO! That was one of my first and foremost requirements of our new property - no HOA's. Our skeezy realtor didn't tell us about "deed restrictions", however, and we were halfway through the buying process when we found out about ours. We ended up having the seller strike off everything he added to the original restrictions. I think the only thing we're not allowed to have is a pig farm. I'll live with that compromise ;-)

Teri H said...

Ugh... I despise them too! And so glad to leave them... the only thing we cannot have is pigs...

Linda Hoye said...

Absolutely crazy. Your yard looks gorgeous - who in their right mind would complain!

Hill Country Hippie said...

That's just the thing Linda - "who in their right mind" would choose to spend their days policing their neighbors yard ornaments? Only a very sad person with no real life of their own.

Too bad about the pigs d.a. and Teri. I was hoping one of you would learn to make Prosciutto for me!

musingegret said...

Oh nooooo, tell me it ain't so (having a new set of restrictions). My heart clenches for y'all. Do expand on this post and tell us what the meeting was like and what the new rules are. It seems like every Neighborhood Association eventually splits between the "Rules Nazis" and the "Laissez Faire, Que Sera Sera" contingent.

Please don't tell me you got static about the new cantina garden!

The Old Man said...

I really miss my Katy gardens and backyard.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I love the way you refer to it as "my garden", even though we all know who did 90% of the work there... I take that back, make that 80%. You did love to stand there with the hose in your hand, while you smoked your cigar!