Friday, February 5, 2010

MAJOR GAB-FEST

Woohoo! The Story Circle Network conference hasn't even officially started yet, and already I'm having a blast! Left home about 4:00 yesterday and drove into Austin in the pouring rain. Stopped at Mama Fu's for some potstickers and seared ahi tuna (3-6 is happy hour and all appetizers are half-price!), then came and checked into the hotel. Had a few minutes to get unpacked, then it was time to head downstairs for the bag- and folder-stuffing party over in Susan's suite. Finally got to meet Linda Hoye, whose blog (My Own Velvet Room) I've been reading for some time, and who is heading the blogging panel I'm on. Was too revved up afterwards to get to sleep, so stayed up watching TV until 2:00!

This morning I had breakfast with Linda and two other bloggers who will be on the panel with us: Nita Lou Bryant, a freelance writer here in Austin, and Judy Miller (aka International Mom) who blogs about raising adopted, interracial children. We could hardly stop talking long enough to eat! It's so amazing to me, the difference between how I felt the last time I came to this, and how I feel now. I've come into contact with so many of these women on-line during the last couple of years, that I feel like I'm amongst friends, rather than strangers. It's like I have a safety net around me now, and it has completely taken away my hesitancy to walk up to a group of strangers and start talking. I've gone from "Why would anyone want to hear what I have to say?", to "Why wouldn't they want to talk to me? I'm pretty interesting!" What an awesome feeling.

2 comments:

musingegret said...

That is so cute about your changed perception of self; I just bet John has fallen in love all over again with the new woman in his life and marriage!

I know you'll have a wonderful time; can't wait to read all about it.

Linda Hoye said...

I share your feeling about being among friends. Who knew that there were other people in this world who also have an affinity for that special pen and can appreciate how I can spend a chunk of time browsing in Office Depot! Writers and bloggers rock!!