Tuesday, February 2, 2010

FIRST SLOW FOOD, NOW SLOW GARDENING!

I have one last thing to share with you from the latest issue of Mary Jane's Farm (Feb-Mar 2010). I'm sure, by now, most of you have heard of the Slow Food movement, but have you heard about Slow Gardening? Garden-writer Felder Rushing, who used to write for Southern Living I believe, is now sending out a surprising message to gardeners everywhere: reject hard work, tidiness, and precision. Apply seasonality to the way you think about, cultivate, and use your food. Relax, and work more closely with nature. "Slow gardening is an attitude, not a how-to," Rushing explains. "Use your senses, connect with a satisfying chore, and do something useful instead of just sitting there polishing your silverware." He believes that slow gardening is for everyone, including those in cities and suburbs. "If you like to cook with herbs, grow some in a pot on the balcony. Just one or two or three or four containers are plenty enough to make you feel useful and in at least some sort of control over your life." You can visit his website for more ideas on how to have a fun, pretty, productive garden, without being too uptight!

5 comments:

musingegret said...

Thanks again for another gardening website to peruse. Just found another interesting book to check out on Dooce's site:

http://www.dooce.com/daily-style/2010/02/02/taking-hint

Gayla Trail's "Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces"

How are your seedlings?

Hill Country Hippie said...

The girl that wrote that book has a blog that I recently added to my bookmarks: http://www.yougrowgirl.com/
She's giving away a copy of that book, and I signed up yesterday. Wish me luck! The seedlings are doing OK, though as it turns out, my sons elaborate circuit board watering system does not work for seed trays, so I'm doing it the old fashioned way.

musingegret said...

Once again, thank you for another beautiful gardening website; I did a search on mint on her site and turned up 5 posts!

jules said...

I love Felder. I listen to his program every Friday morning as I do my running around. He repeats it again on Saturday morning. Mississippi Public Radio - Think Radio. I've gotten a lot of tips from him over the years.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hi Jules! He is the one who used to write garden articles for Southern Living, isn't he?