Tuesday, January 26, 2010

TAPPING INTO YOUR OWN BRILLIANCE II


"To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying 'Amen' to what this world tells you you ought to prefer, is to keep your soul alive." - Henri Matisse

Until I was in my late thirties, I never did any decorating in my home without the assistance of my mother and/or oldest sister. When I tried to choose plain white dishes for my wedding registry, the look of horror on both their faces had me quickly erasing that entry and replacing it with the floral pattern that made them smile in satisfaction. When John got transferred to Indonesia, though, and Mom and Sis couldn't come along, I was finally forced to make a few decisions on my own. Surprisingly, I liked it! After three years, when we knew it was time to move back home, I started pulling pictures out of magazines. I knew we would probably build a house from scratch when we got home, and I didn't want to be caught off guard, with no clue as to what I wanted. I didn't go through looking for anything specific. I just tore out anything that really called to me. Anything that really quivered my liver.

When I had finished, and was flipping through my wish book, I was hit with a startling revelation. Maybe it wasn't that I had bad taste, or no taste at all, as I had believed most of my life. Maybe my taste was just different than most - because the home I was imagining looked absolutely nothing like those of my mother and sister, with all their gee-gaws and ruffled frou-frouness. What I really wanted was something more along the lines of the place I dragged John to every time we were in Singapore - that British Colonial jewel of pale walls with rich wood trim, high ceilings with slowly turning fans, four poster beds with mosquito netting, rippling palms and airy simplicity - The Raffles Hotel. (we never actually stayed there - just went for afternoon tea, or for Singpore Slings, in the bar where they were invented)

All of this leads us to Step #2 of Mary Jane Butter's agenda for Tapping Into Your Own Brilliance: Create A Collage! Mary Jane says, "Not only is this a fun project just 'for the heck of it,' but collaging is also a sure way to stir up ideas. No fancy equipment required. Just gather a bunch of old magazines, greeting cards, or picture books and start snipping out images that call to you. Don't worry if they're completely unrelated or if they seem silly. It doesn't matter if you don't understand quite why they ring true. Trust your instincts. Paste the pictures on poster board and watch as a map of your spirit emerges."

I did as instructed, and as you can see above, my spirit had a lot to say about how my new Cantina Garden should look and feel!

(click image to enlarge)

6 comments:

musingegret said...

Synchronicities abounding! First off, I just read for the first time over the weekend about "Vision Boards" (aka 'creativity collage.') That is such a fun idea that I've just created a new online folder to fill with images!

Recently, I found myself looking up the recipe for Singapore Slings and ruminating on a trip to Singapore and the Long Bar at Raffles Hotel in 1991. I had steeped myself in The Collected Works of Somerset Maughm prior to the trip and cozily ensconced in a rattan chair, sipping the tall frosty libation, I was carried away to British colonial times! A heady memory, indeed.

I love the quote from Matisse! Your theme for the posts this week is deliciously inspiring, so many thanks to you and Ms. Butters!

Hill Country Hippie said...

For years I've been planning to read me some Somerset, but for some reason, never got around to it. Do you have a fav to recommend?

musingegret said...

Only after I started looking around to gain more info for your query did I realize that I've never read his most famous novel, "Of Human Bondage" !! Must remedy that soon!

Here's a link to used copies of "Best Short Stories". I'd start with one of those before investing further. I must have read an anthology of complete or collected short stories as there were no novels or plays included. It was a 1950s-era hardback of my dad's, about 550 pages and tiny printing. Some of the ones listed are 489 pages and 17 stories but alas, no Table of Contents.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=650856&qsort=p

I was amazed to see how many adaptations in film or TV have been made of his works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Somerset_Maugham#Film_adaptations

Keep an eye on Turner Classic Movies and watch the Bette Davis version of his play "The Letter" the next time it's played. Tres melodrama!

Happy Reading.....

PLaneFancies said...

Lindly Haunani, one of the writers of Polymer Clay Inspirations (my newest book on claying) is also big on collaging--in her case I think it's to develop your personal color palette. Interesting how an idea I haven't heard much about for many years is now coming back into favor as a door to creativity and inspiration. Guess I'll have to get out my magazines and scissors since my goal this year is to work through the exercises in this book. Our Buckeye Clay Bash--4 days of claying and learning and sharing--is coming up in just FOUR WEEKS!! Can't wait :-)

PLaneFancies said...

Interesting how collaging is coming to the fore as a technique for creativity. Lindly Haunani, one of the writers of my newest book, Polymer Clay Color Inspirations, recommends collaging as a technique for developing one's own color palette. since I've set a goal to complete all the exercises in the book this year, I guess I'll have to get out my magazines and scissors and collage away.

Our annual Buckeye Clay Bash is coming up in just FOUR WEEKS!! Four days of playing with clay, learning and sharing, not much sleep and loads of fun. I can't wait!!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Priscilla, you're not excited about that clay bash are you? Hope you have a blast, and get great inspiration for next years Christmas presents!