Sunday, January 31, 2010

MEATY MAGAZINES


After leaving a rather lengthy reply to Linda's blog comment yesterday, it occurred to me that not many of you would go back and see this, and perhaps it was something worth sharing here:

"I just realized the oddest thing the other day: blogging has changed my taste in magazines! When I was working as a merchandiser, I took just about every cutesy decorating, craft and gardening magazine out there. My focus was on "stuff" and making people want that stuff, so I scoured them for display ideas. Once I left that job and moved here full-time, I found myself losing interest in all my old favorites. They started feeling frivolous and stupid, most of the projects a waste of time and energy. Gradually, I let all my subscriptions lapse. I went out in search of something with a little more meat to it, and now have only three that I buy on a regular basis: Mary Jane's Farm, Hobby Farm Home, and Mother Earth News."

I was taking Gourmet magazine as well, primarily because I'm a big fan of editor Ruth Reichl's books and writing, but they went and folded on me. So sad. Oh yeah! One more thing, for you city girls. There is a brand new magazine out, from the editors of Hobby Farm Home, which I don't take, but which I plan to gift Alexis with whenever she moves to Austin. It's called Urban Farm: Sustainable City Living. So, if you too have found yourself looking for something more real, down-to-earth, with a little more grit to it than any of those magazines you usually see at the grocery store check out, take a gander at one of these.

P.S. Many thanks to magazineline.com for the above image.

No comments: