Wednesday, January 6, 2010

BABY STEPS


Robert Arbor once said, "I think that sometimes people don't grow fresh food because they think that it is too much work. So my advice to you is to only grow a tiny thing that pleases you and enjoy that tiny thing for all it is worth." So, that is exactly what I plan to do. Well, maybe not just one tiny thing. Perhaps two or three to start with, mixed in with some of my favorite herbs and perennials... maybe even a few annuals. Sure, I'd shave my head and donate the hair for a garden like the one Meryl Streep has in It's Complicated, but only if it came with a full-time gardener to care for it. Since that's never gonna happen, I think it best for me to start small. Once I've mastered a few easy-peasy beginner veggies, built up my confidence a bit, then I will add one or two that require a little more effort and diligence... eventually, maybe even some fruit.

My ultimate goal is to have what the French call a potager, or kitchen garden. These are not meant for growing huge amounts of anything, to be canned or preserved in some way in order to fill the larder for the winter. Some day I might step up to that, should the need arise, but for now, I am content to support our local growers and producers by letting them supply the bulk of our food. My potager will be there to supplement their efforts by, hopefully, offering up a few tiny things year-round that I can pick at their peak of yumminess and "enjoy for all they are worth" right then and there!

But where to start? What I need is a garden mentor. Most of the books on this subject are written by people who garden in a very different climate from this. On top of that, the two main veg-growing bloggers I follow are in Australia! Is there anybody out there who grows food right here in Central Texas, who can tell me where to get a bunch of good compost/soil blend for not too much money, and who can recommend two or three of the very easiest veggie varieties for a novice like me? Someone to hold my hand while I take my very first baby steps?

P.S. Many thanks to Sharon Lovejoy and countryliving.com for the above image.

12 comments:

musingegret said...

I bet one or two of your Bountiful Sprout suppliers would love to mentor you (after you assure them that you're not competing!)

When I googled "blogs about gardening in Central Texas Hill Country " I got a lovely list to browse.

(And discovered some keepers to add to a new Favorites folder)

http://blog.mindbites.com/the-dirt-on-hill-country-gardening-spring-is-just-around-the-corner/

http://www.centraltexasgardening.net/

http://klru.org/ctg/blog/

Happy Researching; I'll keep an eye and ear wide open for any recommendations on soil/compost blends that won't add to the national deficit. Keep checking Craigslist in the 'free' category; many times there'll be dirt or mulch listed 'free for the hauling.'

Anyway, batten down the hatches and prepare for tonight's true Arctic blast! I'm trying to decide if putting sheets over my two large Sago Palms (in pots) will help at all!

musingegret said...

Oooh, check out Pam Penick's blog; she's got a great list of garden blogs on the right hand side.

http://www.penick.net/digging/

Linda said...

Having lived in central Texas 62 years of my life, I think you are wise to start small. Amending the soil is a huge but necessary part of gardening in your part of Texas.

Have you considered making raised beds, in frames of landscaping logs? It might be easier than trying to amend the difficult soil you're living with.

Tomatoes, onions, merrigolds, and zinnias should do well. I like the look if flowers mixed with vegetable plants.

Hope you have a good source of water. You'll need it.

BBest wishes on your new adventure.

Hill Country Hippie said...

ME: Thanks! Can't wait to visit some of those sites.

Linda: Yes, we have a form of raised beds in place now. We're on the side of a hill, so we had some stone tiered beds built in our new little fenced in area. They backfilled them with whatever soil they were able to scrape up from the limestone base, so now I have to figure out what to add and how. Should I put down a layer of that thin cardboard weed-block first, then layer compost and topsoil over that?

Nicki said...

make a trip to the natural gardener in austin

Unknown said...

I'm sure glad you have a blog to share the gardening tips you get from the mentor you find. I'm paying attention.

Teri H said...

Oooo... I'm so glad you asked these questions! I had successful gardens in CO... but know it will be a bit different here! Please share!!! And I'll be checking out those blogs too!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Nicki: That was already on my agenda - love that place!

Alkeona: So happy to oblige!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

I loved seeing my watercolor of my tiny potager on this posting. I guess some of my suggestions are:

start SMALL so that you don't feel overwhelmed
Soil, soil, soil, feed it as you would a growing baby
Mulch, mulch, mulch to prevent evaporation, keep your beneficials cozy, keep weeds at bay
Love, love, love, it overcomes a multitude of gardening errors.

I SO want to visit the Natural Gardener in Austin. I hope the next time (soon) I come to do Central Texas Gardening show (THE BEST), I get to visit Natural Gardener.

Oh, and about the potager in the movie It's Complicated. I screamed when I saw it. WOW!

Check out my new posting on gardening indoors with leftovers! Fun project.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Hill Country Hippie said...

Wow. I mean, WOW! I can't believe Sharon Lovejoy just left a comment on my blog. I've been reading your magazine column for years, so I'm feeling a little star struck, I'm afraid. Thank you so much for stopping by!

Unknown said...

I starting gardening this last year (of course I would start the summer of a record heat wave/drought!) and can't begin to describe the pleasure from picking my own basil, rosemary, chard, and eggplants (they thrived in the heat). My okra plants grew to over 7 ft tall. My granddaughter and I decided they were Jack's magic beans. Each morning after she stayed over the first thing she would do was to look at the okra plants to see how much they had grown!
I suggest starting at The Natural Gardener. They have wonderful demo gardens. I bought a truck load of organic garden soil for $40. This was enough for 2 4x8 beds. (I built my house on rock, limestone to be exact, so raised beds were the only option.:)) I solarized the soil first by covering with clear plastic for a few weeks, then built the beds. The web site for the nursery gives tips for what to plant each month, plus how to's. 590AM (Austin) also has call in gardening shows each Sat and Sun morning with lots of great info. The Aggies also have a great site full of info: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/travis/lg_e_vegetables.htm
I was out yesterday covering what is left in the garden. This includes strawberry plants, lettuce (which I am still cutting on a regular basis), broccoli, beets, dill, garlic and onions. I pulled the last of the radishes while I was out. I used the square foot gardening method and was surprised by the variety I produced in such a small place.
I found one of my passions this last summer/fall and hope the same for you.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Wow Carol, so much good information. Thanks! I already have the square foot gardening book, but a schedule for what to plant when, right here in the Hill Country, would be fantastic. I will definitely check out the Natural Gardener website.