Friday, December 4, 2009

A PASSING OF THE TORCH, AND SOME TIME AWAY

We were planning to go to Dallas next Friday, to celebrate an early Christmas with my family, but yesterday afternoon I got a call from my sister, saying that Mom had taken a turn for the worse - had been unresponsive the entire day. So, when the phone rang again at 3 AM, I knew exactly what I would hear.

I haven't really come to grips yet, with the fact that she is gone. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't begrudge her passing - she had a good long time here on earth, outliving her husband and most of her friends and siblings. She was never one to deal well with pain, either, yet that was all she had to look forward to upon awakening each day. Her vision, hearing and sense of taste were all but gone. Truthfully, I am happy that she has been released from her misery, and have great faith that she has gone to a better place.

And yet...it's just so hard to wrap my head around how quickly she went downhill, once we moved her out of my sister's house - especially since I didn't see the daily progression, as my sisters did. Most of all, though, I can't seem to digest the fact that my siblings and I are no longer "the kids." We are now "the old folks." John and I have just been promoted to patriarch and matriarch of our own little clan, and there is no longer any buffer generation separating us and the great beyond. Kind of scary, don't you think?

I will do my best to tie up loose ends today, then Lex and I will be heading up to Dallas. Not sure when I will get back to the computer, but I will be back, that is certain. Please keep checking in.

12 comments:

susanalbert said...

So sorry to hear about your mother, Becky. I'll be thinking of you. Be safe in your drive--looks like winter weather in that part of TX.

Hugs,
Susan

d.a. said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Love and strength to you & your family through this period of grief.

Anonymous said...

Prayers your way from Liberty Hill..

musingegret said...

Oh Becky, how candidly and gracefully you've written to all of us about your mother's passing. I offer my sincere condolences at this time of transition. I'm so glad Lex will be with you during this bittersweet hiatus. Don't fret about posting; we'll all be thinking of you and your family and sending prayers of peace and healing. Take good and gentle care of yourselves; safe journey.

Teri H said...

Becky... I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. You and your family are in my prayers.

Linda Hoye said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Becky. I'll be praying for as you walk this road. {{Hugs}}

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thank you so much, for all your thoughts and prayers. What a wonderfully supportive community this blogosphere has turned out to be!

JaneJ said...

Our sympathy for the loss of your mother, Becky.

Jane and Bruce

Jessica said...

Becky - Mike called us and told us yesterday. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm impressed with your poise and ability to process this already. You and your family are in our thoughts this weekend...

Natural Girl Powers said...

I am sorry for your loss. I will be praying for your family. I understand what you are saying about shifting roles in your family. It is never easy to lose someone you love even if you know it is coming for a long time.

Anonymous said...

Peace and blessings, Becky,
I'll be thinking of you.
Sherri

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks all. We're back and doing fine.