Saturday, October 24, 2009

FFFFUUUUDDDDGGGGEEEE

Well, it was almost a great week. John came in last night and took some vacation so he could be here to celebrate my birthday with me before heading out to California to get Lex. Then we got a surprise visit from an old friend from Indonesia. Unfortunately, about 10 minutes after we sat down to visit with her, I got the call from my sister.

Mom is diabetic, and she has had several falls since moving to assisted living which we suspect might have something to do with fluctuations in her blood sugar. When I was there last weekend there were a couple of times that we had to force juice down her because her level had dropped dangerously low. Part of the problem is she's still getting her insulin shots twice a day, but isn't bothering to eat a lot of the time. Anyway, Thursday she had a fall bad enough that they called the paramedics. Luckily nothing was broken, but she was so sore she could hardly walk the next day. Yesterday she was so out of it that they couldn't wake her up enough to eat or take her meds, and they decided it was because her diabetes is just out of control. They think someone should be with her 24/7 until they figure out whether she needs to be moved to the skilled nursing section or what, and since I'm the only one without a real job, it looks like I'll be heading back to Dallas for a while.

I hate to do this, but I need to postpone our prize drawing until I get back, since I won't have access to a computer at the nursing home. I will keep the names that are already in the pot, then start up again when I get back so we can talk about the book some more, and gather a few more names. I'm sure gonna miss you. Hope John has fun celebrating my birthday without me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe journey. I know this won't exactly be a fun trip for you, but please know that you've got a lot of shoulders to lean on -- at least virtually.
Sherri

Jessica said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm a certified diabetes educator. Not that I can fix anything from afar, but if you want to chat about ideas, let me know. Take care of yourself, too.
PS> Try to have a happy birthday...

Debbie said...

Becky - Go way back in time, all the way back to Woodrow Wilson. My friend, Sarah Morgan, just sent me your blog (which I really enjoyed) and let me know that you too live in Wimberley. I've lived here since 1993. We've probably passed each other in town, as it is sooo small. My name was Debbie McAfee, now Debbie Campbell. I graduated in 1971 from Woodrow and lived on Lakewood. Perhaps you remember me or not, but if you would like to have lunch at Mima's (my favorite), let me know. Debbie

Hill Country Hippie said...

Debbie, I finally found your message! For some reason it was delayed in showing up on the blog. You lived on Lakewood?! Near the Gearys? You didn't go to Lakewood elementary, did you? Kathy Geary's mom was our girl scout leader from 1st grade through graduation, so I was there at her house every Wednesday afternoon for years. She even took all 30 of us to Europe when we were in H.S. What an amazing lady. Anyway, look forward to getting together with you and Sarah sometime. She said she loves Mima's too!