Friday, October 16, 2009

IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS, IN TEXAS



Greetings from Big D! Fall is the absolute best time to be in Dallas, what with the State Fair, Texas-OU football showdown, etc. Growing up, all the kids in Dallas got a free pass and a day off from school to go to the fair each year. Since all this happened right around my birthday, I sort of figured it was all part of my own personal celebration! John had a uncle who was a carny - a very successful carny it would seem. Who would have thunk you could get rich selling corn on the cob at the fair? He took us on a behind the scenes tour one year when we were first married, and it was a blast. Of course, plain ol' corn on the cob is old hat these days. Instead, they try to outdo themselves each year, coming up with ever more decadent things to fry. It started with fried twinkies and oreos, but has escalated to the point where this year they will be selling fried peaches and cream, and...wait for it...fried butter! (Gag me with a spoon!)

The best year ever was just before my eighth birthday. Unbeknownst to me, a Hollywood film crew was out at the fairgrounds filming the movie State Fair, starring Ann Margaret. One day some guys showed up at my elementary school, and knocked on my classroom door. After a brief discussion with my teacher, they stepped to the front of the class and said "Anyone who's eight years old, raise your hand." Actually, I was still a week or two shy of that mark, but I saw no point in splitting hairs, so I raised my hand too. Good thing I did. The guy started pointing his finger, and said "You, you, you, you, and you, report to the film room!" After everyone was assembled there, they handed us a permission slip to take home and get signed, and told us we were to report to the big merry-go-round on the fair grounds the following evening. Turns out we had been hired as "extras" for a real movie, and they actually paid us $24 just to ride the merry-go-round all evening, for two nights, and sing:


Our state fair is a great state fair

Don't miss it, don't even be late

From dollars, to donuts, at our state fair

It's the best state fair in our state!


And later, we sang:


One little thing in Texas, adores me

and it's the little things in Texas,

the little things in Texas,

the little things in Texas, I love!


How cool was that? Of course, I won't be going out to the fairgrounds this year. I'll be heading to assisted living instead. We just might get to play Bingo this time. Judging from the look on Mom's face when she opened her door and found me standing there yesterday, I'd say at least one little thing in Texas does adore me!


P.S. Many thanks to tradeshowweek.com for the above image.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the rest of us got to go out and watch you ride the merry-go-round - for hours and hours and hours!!!

musingegret said...

"I'd say at least one little thing in Texas does adore me!"

That is just heartbreakingly sweet; how is she doing? Settling in peacefully? Got a routine going? Enjoy your visit and be glad you're avoiding.....(urgh) fried butter!! LOL

Unknown said...

OMG! You never told me you were an extra in the movie. How fun! The State Fair is a great tradition and I admit I go there for my once a year junk food binge, but there is no way I'd try the fried butter. Hope your Mom is adjusting well to her new surroundings.