Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WHAT'S WITH THAT LANE LADY?




Oh My Lord, this feels wonderful! I slept with the porch door open last night, and it felt soooo good to be snuggled up under my duvet. The minute I popped out of bed this morning, I threw all of the windows open. It became so chilly that I had to grab that cozy shawl Lex knitted for me a while back, to keep from being covered in goose bumps. Why leave them open then, you ask? Because I can! You just don't know how unbelievably amazing it is, for us to be having this delicious, fall-like weather... in the first week of fall. Usually, we're still hittin' 90 about now, so I'm gonna savor it while it lasts!

Know what else I'm savoring? Having absolutely no "aroma de rotten egg" in the shower with me, or wafting up from the sink as I brush my teeth. In fact, when the very first rainwater came through the tap, I could have sworn I smelled something sweet - that faint, honey-like scent you sometimes catch when alyssum is in bloom. I'm also lovin' those crystal clear, clean-tasting ice cubes, but best of all is having black kitchen counters and checkerboard floor tiles that actually stay black, for more than two seconds, instead of being covered with big white salty splotches from every drop of water that splashes out of the sink or a pot on the stove, or every drip from a dish or a glass. Yes indeedy, rainwater is an amazing thing!

We probably could have switched over a couple of weeks ago, but John hasn't been here since that sudden deluge brought the tank from knee-hi to full in one fell swoop. He's been pestering me daily since then, to try and see if I couldn't switch it over myself. It was just killing him to think that any rain we were getting now was just gushing out the overflow pipe, and running off down the hill. I told him that I would look into it after my sisters' visit, but I wasn't going to risk poisoning them, or worse still, having no water at all while they were here. Then I only had a couple of days after they left, before I had to head off to Houston. Boy, was he disappointed in me, when I said I hadn't got around to it.

So, on Monday I was finally back, we had rain predicted for every day this week, and I had no more excuses. I pulled out the folder of info from Tank Town, and found brochures for the individual pieces of equipment, instructions for flushing the eliminator or changing a filter, and that's it. Not a thing about how to switch over from well to tank, or how to bypass the water softener. I was about ready to chicken out again when I had a brainstorm. I called Tank Town and left a message saying, "I'm so sorry to bother you, but you know how you installed that tank for us back in May, but when you came to check on it later, you said we needed to wait until it had a bit more water in it before we could switch it over? Well, it's full to overflowing now, and we've got more rain coming, and my husband isn't around, so I'd really, really appreciate it if you'd email me detailed instructions on how to switch it over and bypass the softener, 'cause I'm not very good at this kind of thing." Alas, no response at all that day.

Next morning I'm in the shower, lathered up from head to toe, when suddenly the water slows to a trickle, and stops. My first thought was "Oh my stars, the well's gone dry!" Then I had another thought. I hopped out of the shower, grabbed some clothes, wrapped a towel around my soapy hair, and burst through the front door. Sure enough, there was Joe, the Rock Star from Tank Town, rummaging through John's tool cabinet. "Oh, hi!", he said. "The pump tried to freeze up on me, so I'm looking for something long and skinny here, to get it going. This oughta do. Man, we gotta get you going - you're wasting rain! I can't believe we never got you switched over. How long has it been? You shoulda called us ages ago!" I just stood there with a goofy grin on my face, looking for all the world like a woman in love. I was just so damn happy that I wasn't going to have to attempt this myself!

I ran to grab my phone, so I could call John and tell him the news. They were both trying to ask me questions at the same time, so I said "Here, talk to each other." I guess John asked him if he'd mind trying to bypass the softener for us, 'cause he went in the utility room and messed around a bit, said "You're all fixed up!", and climbed into his truck. I waved goodbye, grinning like an idiot. Then I went inside to finish my shower, only when I turned the handle, nothing happened.

So I called Tank Town, and said "I'm really sorry to bother you, but..." The owner answered the phone this time, and it was really weird. He was tripping all over himself to be nice, saying he'd call Rock Star and get him right back out there, offering to give us a brand new pump...very strange. Sure enough, Rock Star was back moments later, and it turned out that it was a problem with bypassing the softener. At first he didn't think it could be done without removing the equipment altogether, but then he found a third valve he hadn't seen the first time. And John thought I should be able to handle all this on my own? Ha! Again the Rock Star apologized profusely, and I just stood there grinning. Heck, he's lucky I didn't get down and kiss his feet! He probably wen't back to the office and asked "What is with that Lane lady? She should have been pissed as hell at us, and all she did was stand there grinning!"

Good gosh a'mighty, it's raining again! It's fall, and I'm feeling scu-rumptious.

P.S. Many thanks to ssaannar.com for the above image.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! I can't wait to come visit again and smell sweet alyssum when I shower!!! - Gus

Teri H said...

Woohoo! How exciting! We passed by the road to your town yesterday... made me think of you! And we talked about your rainwater collection system... cause it was raining! We spent the day in Fredericksburg!

Hill Country Hippie said...

We are headed to Fredericksburg ourselves this weekend, for a big German wedding. The whole gang's coming in for it - even Lex. Should be a humdinger!

Teri H said...

That sounds fun! Enjoy!

d.a. said...

Oooh, I'm so (good naturedly) envious! As soon as I follow thru with Spouse's garage/pottery studio, the rainwater tanks are getting installed ASAP!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Spouse is a potter? How cool! Once we finish the cantina garden, DH has visions for transforming our garage too.