Sunday, September 20, 2009

NOT SO COMMON SENSE

On the subject of my blog's newly revised title, have you ever noticed that common sense just isn't all that common any more? It seems to me that people could avoid so many problems if they just used a wee bit more of it.

Just what is it, exactly? Well, in my humble opinion, it boils down to being able to see the big picture...being able to look ahead and see the possible future repercussions of your immediate actions. People just don't seem to realize that every single thing they do sends out those ripples we're alway talking about, so not only do we get results right now, we could be seeing the effects for years to come, and not just in our own lives, but also in those around us. Someone once asked me "Am I supposed to pay for that one mistake for the rest of my friggin' life?" Well...yea-ah! Did you think there was a magic eraser somewhere?

So, having common sense is being able to say to yourself "Yeah, this is gonna feel pretty good right now, but how's it gonna feel tomorrow?" Or ten years from now? Or if I guessed wrong? Or if he's not really as wonderful as he seems? Or if they outlive me? Or when it's all saggy and wrinkled? Or when my kids and grandkids have to pay the price? Or if I end up a vegetable? Or if I outlive the money? Nope, there's just not enough of that kind of thinkin' going on these days.

No comments: