Friday, September 25, 2009

ISN'T IT TIME YOU TOLD YOUR STORY?

In case you haven't heard, there is a wonderful organization here in the U.S. called Story Circle Network. It was founded about 10 years ago by author Susan Wittig Albert, author of three (soon to be four) different mystery series, including my personal fav, the China Bayles herbal mysteries, set right here in the Texas Hill Country. Susan is a lifelong mentor and champion to other women writers, especially writers of memoir, and firmly believes that every woman has a story to tell. I bet you have one too.

Story Circle Network's goal is to assist you in finding your voice and telling your story, via workshops, reading circles, writing circles, mentoring, on-line classes, book reviews, monthly publications to which you can submit your writing, and much, much more. Hard to believe it was just two short years ago that I first moved here, had just started blogging, and was struggling to find my own voice. That's when Susan invited me to attend the SCN national conference, held every other year right here in Austin. It turned out to be a life altering event for me. Not only did it introduce me to a slew of interesting women, including one of the Muses, it also allowed me to attend a panel on blogging, where I learned so much that now, two years later, I've been invited to sit on the panel myself, at this coming February's conference!

There are so many extraordinary stories to be found in our ordinary lives, and those of our friends, sisters, mothers and grandmothers. If, like me, you feel that it's just a sin for them to slip away, untold, unnoticed, and unshared, then maybe it's time for you to join the circle. Here's hoping I see you at the conference!

2 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

I'm looking forward to finally meeting you in person at the conference!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Me too!