Friday, September 18, 2009

AN IDEAL MARRIAGE & A CANTINA GARDEN

Well, it's taken me a while to find the perfect man - for the job - but I think we're finally on our way to having that Mexican Courtyard Cantina Kitchen Garden! The problem, you see, was that I know a good bit about plants and design, and I'm pretty good about creating atmosphere, but I'm lousy at supervising crews and subcontractors, and I don't know beans about construction. So, I definitely needed some help if I was going to bring this baby to life.

The first person I contacted knows quite a bit about plants, and has a wonderful flair for design, using lots of the dramatic, sculptural plants that I love. Unfortunately, she has no interest in supervising crews or managing a construction project, so she sent me to someone else.

This person had plenty of experience supervising construction and crews, and knows a ton about native plants, but her specialty is restoring prairies and attracting wildlife. She came out to look around, and had great ideas for reseeding our fields with grasses and wildflowers, but just never seemed to get on board with the idea of planting a dramatic little kitchen garden in the middle of all that. I almost hired her anyway, taking that "Oh, I suppose it will do" attitude that I am usually preaching against. Fortunately, John brought me to my senses, saying "We are not going to spend all this money unless you are peeing in your pants from excitement." Well, maybe those weren't his exact words, but you get the idea.

That left me right back where I started, with no clue how to pull this off. I stewed and mulled for several days, then I had brain fart. Turns out I knew just the guy - one who knew absolutely nothing about plants. He didn't need to, because that's something I'm perfectly capable of handling on my own. He does, however, know plenty about construction and supervising crews, since he's the architect who designed this house for it's original owners, and then designed and supervised our subsequent remodeling project. Most importantly, I have been to his wonderful house, and there's no doubt in my mind that, if anyone would understand my desire for a little drama, or my craving for color, it would be him. In fact, I'd say we're a marriage made in heaven, with just the right balance of strengths and weaknesses, but also a matching core of basic values. There's just one tiny snag. He's retired.

So, how to tempt him out of retirement? I started off by sending him a little email, explaining what we were trying to accomplish. I also included a link to that original blog posting, where I first described my crazy concept. Then I told him about the previous landscaper, who just hadn't understood my need for flair and drama. I closed with "I know you are trying to be retired, and probably wouldn't be interested in a project like this, but could you perhaps suggest someone else who might be a good match for the job?" His reply was, "Oh, I don't mind taking on a little project every now and then. Maybe we should get together and talk a bit more."

He and his wife came to dinner weekend before last. I let him look out the dining porch windows, to see the bird's-eye view of the garden that we would get from up here. Then I took him downstairs, to see it up close and personal. Within about five minutes he was tossing out ideas that had me squealing "Yes! Yes! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!" Then I excused myself, to go change my underwear.

6 comments:

d.a. said...

Laughing out loud at your closing sentence! Hee!

Good luck with the project!

musingegret said...

Seeeee, Lex was exactly right in her comment of 7/14 when she suggested "ask your architect buddy.."! Oh this is wonderful news. I googled from your post of 7/14 the phrase: "Mexican Cantina style courtyard kitchen garden" and of course your entry was #1 but take a look at entry #2. This means that once you embark on this delightful project you simply must, MUST, take pics at every juncture. You've inspired me to dream of a cantina garden and I have no stones, no trees and no natural terrace! LOL Ideal Marriage Indeed...the timing was right!

The Old Man said...

With all this peeing going on it's a good thing I'm installing the dual flush conversion kits in the toilets.

Hill Country Hippie said...

m.e., are you referring to Lucinda's La Cucina Cantina? I've seen her herb articles in numerous magazines over the years, and even have one of her cookbooks, which includes some pictures of her fabulously funky purple house right there in Austin. I'm crazy about that bathtub madonna! Maybe all this was floating around in the back of my mind when the inspiration struck for our own garden. Think I should paint my house purple?

Hill Country Hippie said...

By the way, that's Lucinda Hutson, for those of you who aren't familiar with her. She writes for Edible Austin too. Go online and check out the pictures of her garden. It's faaaaaabulous. Gotta figure out how to work some funky mosaic stuff into mine!

musingegret said...

Yes, she's the one! That's fab that you already knew about her, I didn't, but I sure do now. And yes indeedy, bring on the funky mosaics---glue some broken crockery and mirror shards to those urns out there!