Tuesday, August 25, 2009

PRAYING THAT 60 REALLY IS THE NEW 40!

Lord-a-mercy, it's good to be home! I'm both amazed and horrified at how much I missed my own bed, my kitchen, my views, my friends, and all my little routines and rituals. Why horrified? Because I'm so afraid of turning into my parents!

They were only 59 when my first child was born, yet they were already getting so set in their ways that it was like pulling teeth to get them to come visit us. I can't imagine anything keeping me away from my grandbabies, if and when I have them. Of course, I can't imagine my mom hiking up and down this crazy driveway of mine in her mid-fifties, or even her forties. Nor can I picture her tubing in the river, swimming in The Blue Hole, or ever setting foot in a kayak. Most of all, I can't imagine her making a five hour car trip alone - at any age - as I seem to be doing almost every time I turn around. So maybe I'm not headed for the easy chair just yet. At least, I hope not!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you need to worry Beck - you don't remind me of Mom in any way!!!! And I know you both pretty well.... L, Gus

Hill Country Hippie said...

Well, keep your fingers crossed, just in case!