Monday, August 17, 2009

DO I NEED AN INTERVENTION, 0R WHAT?

On Wednesday I will be heading up to Dallas for about a week. It will be a bit of an adventure, as we are moving my mother into assisted living . This is a woman who, not only has she never lived alone, she rarely even spent a night apart from my dad except when he was stationed overseas during WWII (and she moved back in with her parents then). Even when she was in the hospital, she almost always had one of us sleeping in the room with her. Right now I think she is kind of looking forward to it. She pictures it as being sort of like a nice hotel, with lots of people around 24 hours a day, to cater to her every whim, and they won't be deserting her all the time to go off to a silly job the way my sister does. I think it won't take more than about 24 hours though, for her to realize just how wonderful my sister really was, and decide she wants to go back. Sorry Charlie! So, the week may involve a touch of drama.

Now, I believe I may have mentioned that I used to be a complete technophobe. I checked emails about once a week, and other than that, only used the computer if I absolutely had to for work or school. Then John made me switch from my little spiral notebook journals to a blog. Then I discovered the blogosphere. Then I somehow wound up on facebook, and, well, one thing led to another (though I still can't turn on John's TV or Stereo, or Twitter, or do anything with my phone other than answer it). But, I didn't think I was all that dependent on the computer - until this morning, anyway.

It all started when I got this message from my sister: "You may be real upset with me. My monitor has gone out and I'm not in a position to replace it right now. Chris is going to try and get me a used one thru his work but it looks like you won't have access to a computer while you are here. I'm so sorry that my timing wasn't better. But we really are looking forward to your visit. "

I told her that was not a problem, but that I would send a message to John, to see if he happened to have a spare monitor he could give her. He can usually build an entire computer out of stuff he's got stashed in the closet of his bat cave downstairs, but no, no spare monitors right at this moment. Her reply was "So glad you aren't upset about no computer, I was real worried." Sheesh!

A few minutes later I got a note back from John, saying that he has ordered a brand new monitor for my sister, and that it should be at her house by the time I get there. It got me to thinkin', am I really so addicted to this thing that nobody thinks I can survive five or six days without it? If so, I need help!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually - I can't BELIEVE that you don't have a laptop yet! You could sit out on your balcony and blog to your hearts content and take it with your everywehre!! L - Gus

Hill Country Hippie said...

John doesn't get it either. We've had an ongoing repartee of late, over whether it is really necessary for us to have two or three computers per person in our family, or even worse, two or three cars. Just when I'm thinking we could probably pare down to one car when he retires, turns out he's thinking about getting another "just for fun" car!

lexlane said...

I think Poodles is getting a new monitor not because anybody is worried about your addiction, but because my dad is a bit of a softie at heart.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yeah, he also tried to convince me that he needed to buy Granny a flat screen TV for her new apartment!

d.a. said...

Of COURSE everyone needs at least two or three computers each! :-D

Hill Country Hippie said...

Um, you're not helping d.a!

catislander said...

I think all of your dedicated fans would go through withdrawals if you didn't post for a week.