Tuesday, March 3, 2009

ON THE NEEDLES






One good thing about the time I spent in Dallas playing nurse - it gave me lots of time to knit! I finally finished my very first project - this scarf, which I have worn the heck out of - then I went on to making dishcloths. They are a great, practical way to try out some new stitches. Now I am making another scarf, similar to the one above, as a surprise thank-you gift for a friend. Hers is out of a chunky, nubby yarn called Homespun, in yummy shades of chocolate, to match her eyes, with shots of denim blue, coral, turquoise and green, to match all the clothes she wears. Hope she likes it.

By the time I've finished with that, I'm hoping that my exciting find will have arrived from Australia, a pattern for the cutest tea cozy in the world (scroll down past the doll to see it)! I came across it when I started going back through the archives at Eyes of Wonder, before I even knew how to knit. She said a fellow blogger had sent it to her as a gift. Months later, while following a link from someone else, to a wonderfully crafty blog called Little Jenny Wren, it suddenly occurred to me that this was the same Jenny who made that darling cozy for Jewels! So, I sent her an email telling her that she was one of the reasons I learned to knit, and lo and behold, she offered to photocopy the pattern and mail it to me. I am ecstatic!

Last but not least, as I mentioned a while back, I am reverting to my old love of haunting flea markets, thrift stores, and antique shops. Number one on my wish list? Wonderful old knitting needles in a variety of sizes and materials. John and I went to this flea market in Kyle over the weekend. Didn't find anything I needed, but enjoyed the colorful eye-candy nonetheless. Plus, we discovered a great little Mexican cafe for lunch afterwards. On Sunday, after John left, I decided to browse the Goodwill store in San Marcos. What did I find there? An extra copy of the book I gave away yesterday, in perfect condition, for only $2.99! So, even though I didn't manage to pull my daughter's name from the hat, she's still getting a copy in the mail. How's that for synchronicity?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Yeah! Good job on your knitting projects. I love making functional art. My next project is wool house socks for Geoffrey!

Hill Country Hippie said...

I'm dying to be able to make some socks, now that I live somewhere cold enough in winter to actually use them (in Houston they would have been a total waste of time), but they just seem so far beyond my capabilities. Maybe next time we all get together, you can give me a tutorial!