Friday, February 6, 2009

EBONY AND IRONY

Usually,once I open my journal, after sitting on our dark porch and watching the sun rise from behind the hills, words just pour forth. Occasionally, though, my mind does a jitterbug, and can't seem to land in one spot long enough to dredge up anything profound. When that happens, I usually end up thinking about very mundane things, like to-do lists. That's OK though, for now that I've started making them more interesting, posting them to the blog, and saving them in a notebook, to-do lists are one of my very favorite things!

I have a sneaking suspicion that some day, I'm going to enjoy looking back through that notebook full of lists way more than I will enjoy digging through old journals. It will be such a fun, graphic summary of what was going on here at any given time - sort of a comic book version of my life. Eeeww - just had a scary thought! Instead of publishing a blog-based memoir of our Hill Country adventures one day, it would be just my luck for someone to say "Nah, not interested, but we might be willing to publish your to-do lists." Wouldn't that be ironic, considering how much grief everyone has always given me over my list-making obsession?

3 comments:

Polly said...

I love looking back at my sketchbook. I use it for everything - lists, phone numbers, menu ideas, books to read, random ideas to follow up on (or not). Of course, mine isn't as colorful or interesting as yours.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I keep meaning to start carrying one with me all the time. I read about a designer who does that instead of using an agenda or whatever. I think that's a great idea!

Polly said...

I have a friend who is wiccan and she refers to my book as my *Book of Shadows*. I guess that sounds a lot more romantic than *that scruffy black book I carry all the time*!