Sunday, January 11, 2009

THANKS, I NEEDED THAT!



I have been a total sloth, ever since my daughter arrived a month ago. I have not kept up with my exercise regime, my housework, or done any writing other than blogging. It was SO great, and just what I needed! Maybe I am not the only one who felt this way, either. Over on her amazing blog Beauty That Moves, Heather suggested that it may have been a national phenomena this holiday season. After all the recent craziness, perhaps our country needed a "Staycation" - time to withdraw into our nests with our loved ones and block out the noise of the world. Time for a little self-nurturing.

So that is exactly what we did. Oh, once "the plague" had finally left our house, we did venture forth occasionally. Lex got to meet my friends, went to line-dancing with me, ate at a few of her favorite restaurants. We took in a couple of movies and visited Old Oaks Ranch - the wonderful fiber arts center near-by. But mostly, we hunkered down - she in her corner of the sofa, I in my wingback chair. We read a lot of great books, and I learned to knit and she practiced using her new drop-spinner, whilst watching the occasional PBS special or Monk marathon (Can you believe it? I can finally knit and watch TV at the same time! Well, sort of.) It was wonderful.

But now it is time to return to the real world. Lexie flies out this evening, and I am ever so grateful for this time we have had. It has left me feeling reinvigorated and ready to begin the new year. Ready to clear away the clutter, pare down and get organized. Ready to concentrate on becoming more fit. Ready to kick my writing practice up to the next level. Ready to be more creative. Most of all, ready to get these new habits so ingrained that they won't fall by the wayside this summer, when DH finally joins me here full-time, and I have more to distract me!

2 comments:

Teri H said...

My sister just got into spinning... you can see her beginnings at http://brynnsbabble.blogspot.com/2009/01/spinning.html... she's going to show me how after both of us move! We are moving this week and she's moving the last weekend in January.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Is she going back to Texas too, or staying in CO? I was wondering how you were going to stand moving away from the Brynncess.