Thursday, January 22, 2009

NOW WHAT DO I DO?


I have ever so gradually expanded my food repertoire over the years, from the one of my childhood which offered only those veggies that came in cans or boxes. Still, I periodically reach a plateau, where I get in a rut of using what is known in Indonesia as sama sama - or just more of the same ol' same old.

So, I'm branching out once more, determined to include some new things in my Bountiful Sprout orders - at least a few seasonal items that I may never have eaten or cooked with. Occasionally, I'm left standing with hands on hips, wondering "Now what the heck do I do with this thing!" Kind of like today, when I stood staring at the booger pictured above.

And now I've come to you for assistance. Anybody got a great recipe for kohlrabi?


P.S. Many thanks to www.horst-luenser.de for the above image.

9 comments:

Geoff said...

Just julienne a bit and toss it raw with a bit of soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. It's crunchy and good.

Linda Hoye said...

This brings back memories for me. I used to like to eat it raw.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I tossed mine in a little oil, to which I had added a smidge of sesame oil, added some diced onion, peppers, some garlic, then roasted it all at a fairly high temp until it started getting brown patches. Just before eating it I added a splash of balsamic. Mighty tasty! (of course, you could prepare shoe leather that way, and it would probably be tasty as well. Can't wait to try your raw version! Do you have any good recipes for beets? Something where they aren't sickly sweet?

Polly said...

Well, as much as I love beets, I've never tried to cook a raw one from scratch before. It sounds wonderful, although I'll still probably be the only one in my family to eat it. My DH is adamant that the only legitimate vegetables are potatoes, corn, peas and sometimes green beans, though not those *hippie* fresh ones. Only beans from a can, just like God intended. Sigh...

Hill Country Hippie said...

Ooowee - he sounds like my father-in-law! Although FIL probably wouldn't have gone for the peas even.

Jessica said...

Thanks, Becky. I got the book today!
I'll take it on our trip to California!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Sure took its sweet time getting there!

Geoff said...

I don't have a recipe, but I love a roasted beet salad with a bit of goat cheese and some candied walnuts or something like that. That over some simple greens with some oil and balsamic. I bet you can create something like that!

Now if you can figure out a way to ship that to me fresh, that'd be great. :)

Hill Country Hippie said...

I happen to have a fresh jar of my bootleg goat cheese. All I need to do is whip up a batch of my spiced nuts!