Wednesday, January 28, 2009

EATING HUMBLE PIE


John and I have always been such good savers that I've become rather cocky over the years about our future security. The recent trauma in the financial world has me wondering though, just how secure are we, really?

Many of the blogs I read are concerned with living more simple, green and frugal lives. Some believe that it's simply the right thing to do, while others fear we may have no choice in the matter before long. They believe the American Dream of a house for every family, and a bedroom, bathroom, car, computer, TV, DVD and i-phone for every child, is about to blow up in our faces. If and when this happens, we may have to rethink our definition of a reasonable life.

There may come a time when the sharing of one's residence with extended family, and sharing the work of keeping food on the table, will once again be the norm, rather than the exception. People may need to take in boarders, in order to save their homes from foreclosure. We will probably have to forget about replacing everything that breaks or tears with something brand new, and learn again how to mend or repair things. I can learn to knit, sew, garden, cook, can, build or barter - no problem! In fact, none of these things would really bother me in the least, as long as we still owned the roof over our heads and the land beneath our feet. Call it pride, vanity, greed, or whatever, there's just no denying it - I would absolutely frickin' hate having to move in with a relative, live by their rules, let someone else call the shots, all the while trying to remain ever so humble and properly grateful. In fact, God is probably smirking as I write this, thinking "Aha! I know just what to do, when I'm ready to teach this girl a lesson in humility."

In the meantime, I'm thinking maybe I need to consult with John, to make sure that a portion of our savings - at least enough to pay off our mortgage and several year's worth of taxes, is in a secure place that can't disappear overnight. I may not like whatever else comes our way, but I think I can handle it, and I can only pray that, if my friends or relatives needed to come stay here with us, I would always remember to treat them with love and respect, just they way I would hope to be treated, were I ever in their shoes.

P.S. Don't forget to leave a comment, or send an e-mail to becky(dot)lane(at)vownet(dot)net, if you would like to be included in this week's prize-drawing. The deadline is whenever I crawl into bed this Sunday night.

P.P.S. Many thanks to www.tvrage.com for the above image.

5 comments:

Judie said...

Hi, I caught your comment on Down To Earth site tonight. It is very difficult to imagine a time without air conditioning. D_T_E is a good site. Rhonda has a great attitude and answers questions when time allows.
I live on the south plains of Texas (Lubbock to be exact). I'm glad to find a site in Texas. We're actually going to New Braunfels on Friday to visit our grandchildren.
Will be looking forward to reading your blog on Google Reader. I can use all of the helpful hints I can find and anyone who loves Under the Tuscan Sun and the Provence series is automatically top of my list. Catch you Later, JudieJ/ judon2003@yahoo.com

Hill Country Hippie said...

Greetings Judie! I'm so glad you came by for a visit. I agree wholeheartedly - a daily dose of Down to Earth is vital! Since you happened to leave a comment at just the right time, you are now entered for this month's prize drawing in our "Year of Reading Dangerously" Give-Away! Have fun in New Braunfels.

Polly said...

It is freakin scary these days. My husband and I were just tooling along, minding our own business, enjoying a pretty good income when WHACK - out of the blue, we both got laid off at the same time! Up til that time, we were the proverbial grasshoppers - not much savings but a fabulous DVD collection. Just getting ready to buy a house after renting for about 5 years. That was 3 years ago. I've been working at a grocery store but he had a hard time finding something. Not much call for vice-presidents with a heart conditon and high blood pressure. And yes, regardless of what they said, that WAS the reason he was let go. Anyway, we are doing okay, living paycheck to paycheck like most people, but still with little in savings. I don't see us ever getting to retire. And now, his parents are pressuring us to move to Florida and stay with them for a while. No stress there. I'm with you, Becky. I couldn't see moving in with relatives at all.

Judie, I love Lubbock. Have you been to the Windmill Museum? It is fascinating. My folks are from that area, Dad from Lubbock, Mom from Spur, and I love it up there.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Polly, judging from the example of my sister and parents living together, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure there were a lot of families in the olden days who managed it just fine, but we've all been raised to be too independent, and everyone wants to be the boss!

Judie said...

Polly, You bet we've seen the Museum. One granddaughter has quite a mini-windmill collection. We love Lubbock and our quick change weather, but are enjoying a trip to warmer weather for a few days.
Will catch up with you all soon. JudieJ