Friday, December 12, 2008

THE WRITING CLASS


The first two assignments came back with all the expected red pencil marks, as well as some good, constructive criticism. Number three was a shocker. I had decided to submit my story about the stages of a marriage - the one called Circle of Love. It seems to be one that really resonates with people, so I was hoping my instructor could help me get it cleaned up enough to be worthy of submitting somewhere - somewhere that might actually pay money for a story!

When I opened the critiqued version I was puzzled. I kept scrolling down the page, looking for her corrections and critical insertions, but couldn't find any. "Well great," I thought. "She accidentally sent it back to me ungraded!" But no, when I finally got to the bottom of the page, I found this: "Becky, You know how some people's homes are lovely, everything matches just right, everything is tasteful, but you don't get any sense of the woman who lives there? There's no personality in the house? But I looked at your blog today, and saw the photos of your ceramic and glassware collection - I'll bet your home is a perfect reflection of you. Writing is like that too. We call it 'voice,' and refer to 'finding your voice.' It's difficult for writers to do. In this essay you've found your voice. Nothing wrong with the earlier pieces, but they didn't have your personality in them. This one does. Nice work."

OK, picture my head swelling to the size of a Macy's parade balloon. Picture me having cocky thoughts like, "Wow, this writing biz is way easier than I expected. Only halfway through the course, and I've already got it down pat!" Now picture that balloon being ruptured when assignment #4 came back, and I read this: "Hello Becky, Have you heard of the Myers-Briggs test? It's a personality test that considers four different aspects to classify people's personalities for better team building. The reason I mention it is that I'd be willing to wager that you, (Classmate X), and I are probably similar types. We're analytical and we want to step back from the emotions of the situation to deal with it intellectually. Trouble is, that doesn't really work in personal essays, which by definition are personal rather than intellectual. (Classmate X) has really been working at getting the emotion into her writing. You might want to reread her essays on the Yahoo site. Not that you need to write about such serious subjects, but you do want to make that emotional connection we're talking about. Keep writing, Robin"

Well, sheeyut. Why would I wanna go and do that? After all, the main reason I started writing about family stuff in the first place was to put some distance between me and all the drama. I don't want to be in the center of it all, feeling all that emotion! I kinda like it out here in the audience, viewing it all as more of a sit-com. Is that a crime? So, sue me!

P.S. Many thanks to www.units.muohio.edu for the above image.

No comments: