Tuesday, October 28, 2008

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY GLASSES?


I must have put on my rose-colored glasses when I moved here to Wimberley, and just forgot to take them off. Being surrounded by so many broad-minded, positive thinking and acting people, for the first time ever, had me believing that the world had really made some progress at last - that people were finally getting over their "Me! Me! Me!" attitudes, starting to see that we are all connected in this struggle for life on our little planet, starting to care about the legacy we are leaving behind, and finally starting to work together for the common good. I even felt optimistic that MLK's "dream" might one day be a reality.

The news that two white supremacists had been arrested for plotting to kill Obama and as many non-caucasians as possible, brought me back to earth with a sickening thud. It reminded me that all it would take is one sick, slimy maggot crawling out from under the woodpile, and we could be thrown straight back into the days of the Kennedy assassinations and race riots, or even worse. I was planning to treat myself to a festive day in Austin, in honor of my birthday today. Then I got an e-mail message from husband, talking about how depressed he is. His two, supposedly intelligent (though I always thought they leaned more towards nut-job) business partners won't quit ranting about all the shit that's going to come down, if Obama wins, and they are even talking about buying guns in preparedness. Combined with the state of our retirement fund right now, it's making him want to just run away from his job in Houston, crawl into bed here in Wimberley, and pull the covers up over his head. I'm thinking that might be a good place to spend my birthday. I looked for my rose glasses, wanting to put them back on, but someone stepped on them and smashed them to bits. Or, maybe my problem is just that I ran out of chocolate yesterday. Check back with me after I replenish my supply.

P.S. Many thanks to nittanybeaglerescue.org for the image above.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Becky! Eat lots of chocolate cake on your special day!

Love,
Stephanie and Chris

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Steph!Say hi to Chris and Pudga for me.

Jessica said...

I didn't know it was your birthday! Today is my dad's and cousin's birthday as well. What a special day.

On a different note, I totally concur with your worry about Obama's safety and the state of the nation. Yikes...One more week.

Polly said...

`Happy Birthday, Becky! Please don't let the state of the world get you down. At least, for one day. Go to Austin and have fun. Eat nachos, drink a couple of Coronas or Margaritas, listen to some great music, DO NOT listen to the news. Don't worry, it will all be here tomorrow.

As for Obama. Yeah, he scares me. But then, so does McCain. Your basic rock and a hard place scenario for me.

Eat lots of cake.
Polly

Teri H said...

Happy Birthday! Forget about the news and go celebrate!

And thanks for recommending the Homesick TExan! I LOVE all her recipes!!!

The Old Man said...

Sorry dear. Didn't mean to rain on your parade yesterday.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Never fear, I had a mah-velous day in Austin. Unfortunately, it was only supposed to get down to 40 last night, so I went ahead and spread all my new plants out in the bed, ready for planting. When I got up this morning, the thermometer showed 32 degrees, and I had $200 worth of very unhappy plants. Sure wish I had left them bunched together on the porch overnight. Keep your fingers crossed.

Joanne said...

Happy birthday, hope you had a good one! A chocolate deficiency is not a good thing, particularly when celebrating. Hope you found some, raising my coffee cup in birthday cheers.