Friday, October 3, 2008

TOTAL TOMATO IMMERSION, AND THE COMMUNAL TABLE




Not long ago I happened across a blog called Texas Locavore (http://texaslocavore.com). One day she had posted a photo of some yummy looking tomato dishes that were being featured on the special summer menu at Kerbey Lane Cafe in Austin, and she warned everyone to get them while the gettin's good, because tomato season was just about over. So we got ourselves over to Austin.

We went on a Saturday, at lunch time, and were amazed at the crowd. Apparently their pancakes are notorious, and the hoards descend for weekend brunches. We opted to sit up at the counter, which has open seating, rather than wait forever for a table. It turned out to be a very wise decision. The first thing I ordered was their panko and parmesan encrusted tomato fries, served with a slow-simmered marinara sauce. I knew that if I ate the whole order, I wouldn't have room for my entre', so when I saw the people next to us eyeing them curiously, I started passing them around for everyone to try. The main act was tomato pie - a basil pie crust topped with vine ripened tomatoes from Poteet, TX, baked with feta cheese and black olives. If only I had discovered it in June, I would have been on their doorstep at least once a week, all summer long. The side salad with Tomato Basil Vinaigrette wasn't bad either.

More and more I find myself sitting up at the counter, in any restaurant that has one - especially when I am alone. I've discovered that it is the next best thing to a communal table. The waitperson is much more likely to hang around and visit with you there, allowing you to pick their brain about the food and the history of the restaurant. Also, the people sitting around you are much more likely to lean over and inquire about what you are eating, as they did here, and you end up having great conversations and discovering other places and foods to try.

I used to be very leery of communal tables, when looking for B&Bs to try. I wasn't a good conversationalist, and dreaded having to make small talk with strangers. I thought we would just be more comfortable at a separate table - and we probably were, but comfortable does not equal interesting or fun. Without exception, every time we stepped out of our comfort zone, our vacation ended up being more memorable. Around a communal table, there is always a sharing of ideas and information. There are usually people who have stayed in the area before, and are more than willing to share with you the fun things they have done, and the best places to shop and dine. The host and hostess usually get in on the conversation, and add tidbits about the people who live there, and the town's history. As it turns out, my conversational skills are not important at all. Only my listening skills, which are quite good, are necessary.

3 comments:

Polly said...

Wow, those look and sound fabulous! I may not be able to make it to Austin this month, so I may have to wait til next tomato season. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Polly

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a fun time! And very interesting thoughts on the communal table. I too have always shied away from them, but your words encourage me to try again.
And that tomato dish made my mouth water!

Hill Country Hippie said...

It tasted even better than it looks! Wish I had a recipe for it.