Wednesday, October 15, 2008

SNAKE 'N EGGS


Woohoo! Today I get to pick up my first order from Bountiful Sprout. One of the many reasons I am excited about this venture, is that I believe it's very important for people to get back in touch with where their food really comes from, and what all is involved in getting it to them. Only when they are fully aware of this, will they become good earth stewards. For instance, I became 100 times better at conserving water, when I was faced with the reality of a well that can go dry.

I got my first lesson in the hazards of farming, when I received this email last night:

Hey there- Snake in the hen house! I talked with Marianne Simmons, and we had to remove 5 dozen eggs. The board was first to lose them, and Tara, I'm sorry I shorted you one of your two.
See you all tomorrow,
!!!!!!
Looking forward to it,
Lisa

Too bad. No fritattas for me.

I was all excited about raising chickens and having fresh eggs at my fingertips when we bought this place, but then someone told me that you can't have chickens, without having snakes. Ummm...nevermind. And so, here's to you Marianne, heroine of the chicken coop! You go out there every single morning, and lift up chicken fannies, so that I don't have to. All Hail Marianne!

P.S. Thanks to repvet for the image.

1 comment:

Teri H said...

LOL! That's exactly one of the things I wantED to do when we move there... have chickens with fresh eggs! Maybe not so much now... I didn't know they brought snakes with them... =(