Thursday, October 23, 2008

WIPE THAT GRIN OFF YOUR FACE!


You can learn a surprising amount, just from reading Little House on the Prairie Books. In the first one, I picked up some advice for those of us who are trying to grow veggies in deer country: "The garden behind the little house had been growing all summer. It was so near the house that the deer did not jump the fence and eat the vegetables in the daytime, and at night Jack kept them away. Sometimes in the morning there were little hoof-prints among the carrots and the cabbages. But Jack's tracks were there, too, and the deer had jumped right out again."

I've learned a thing or two about deer already, just on my own. For instance, I discovered that they have an evil sense of humor. When I pulled the summer annuals out of my containers, I replaced them with dianthus. I was told deer don't like to eat dianthus, and that was absolutely correct. But that doesn't stop them from plucking each one out of my pots, every damn night, and tossing it disdainfully on the ground to die. Now that is just plain rude! Every single morning I have to scurry out and get them replanted, before it gets too hot. And it's startin' to PISS ME OFF!


P.S. Many thanks to www.mastrsoftheuniverse.de for the grinning deer image.
P.P.S. Don't forget to tell me in a comment, if you want to be included in this week's prize drawing.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh, animals! Really, you can't help but chuckle at the vision of those deer pulling out the plants. (Though I'm sure you're not laughing every morning).

Polly said...

When we moved to San Antonio, I thought it kind of charming the way deer would wander through back yards. Until I found out just how evil they really are.

I'd love to be included in your giveaway!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Joanne, Polly - you have both been entered for Sunday's big drawing!

Sandy said...

i enjoyed your deer story... so have you planted close to the house? there is indeed good information in reading!! :)
i hopped over from jeannie ralston's links - am reading her book right now.
can you include me in the drawing as well?

Hill Country Hippie said...

Sandy, I put your name in the pot. Thanks for stopping by!