Monday, August 4, 2008

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?


Yesterday I came across the ultimate example of poor marketing. I was reading the local newspaper, when out of the corner of my eye I spotted an ad for one of those million dollar Hill Country properties. The competition is fairly stiff when it comes to unloading one of those boogers, especially in an economic gully like the one we are in right now. You are pretty much dependent on finding some uber-rich city schmuck to take it off your hands. That being the case, who in their right mind would submit an ad, in big print for all the world to see, which proclaims that you named your house "Casa de Scorpio"? Isn't that a tidbit you should share with them after they have signed on the dotted line?

6 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Yikes! I'm with you...what were they thinking?
Becky

Hill Country Hippie said...

Hey Rebecca, Just got back from cruising your blog (rebeccaramsey.blogspot.com). It seems you and my mom love all the same TV shows. In fact, I don't think their TVs will even pick up anything other than HGTV , Food Network, Project Runway or Antiques Roadshow. I have to admit though, those guys on Ace of Cakes are pretty entertaining!

Hill Country Hippie said...

OOPS! I did it again. I'm always leaving out that pesky "S". Her blog is Wonders Never Cease, at http://rebeccasramsey.blogspot.com/ Check it out - it truly is a wonder!

WomenBloom said...

Ooh, if scorpions, BAD idea. If astrological sign Scorpio, still bad, nobody in Texas wants to make the association between house and scorpion especially not when it's this dry.

Am I the only one who thinks it's so cute and retro to name your house something? Makes me think of the days of bowling teams, Lucy and Ricky with their travel trailer...definitely a more innocent time and place...

BTW, HCH, I played hooky yesterday afternoon from my WomenBloom labors and went to Blue Hole and mindlessly watched the reflections on the cypress and the fishies lolling around in the depths. GREAT suggestion, thank you!!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Allison, so glad you did. That's probably what I missed the most these past two weeks. Actually, the very first thing I did when we bought this place was give it a name. Ever since I read gothic romances as a teen, I have always wanted to live in a house with a name, but it just didn't seem appropriate in the burbs. You'll never guess what we named this one ....SEASONALITY!

Price said...

I named a garden once...Millefleur. We were living in Louisiana, so it made sense.

That scorpion brought back painful memories, btw.