Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRAVEL






I am the only person in my family (parents & siblings) who has never been tempted to go on a cruise. I usually blame it on my motion sickness when they bring it up, but to tell you the truth, even the shore excursions don't appeal to me. Ever since my sixteen year old self went on that first whirlwind tour of Europe with her Girl Scout troop, I have longed for a different kind of travel. I came back from that trip feeling cheated somehow, but wasn't sure why.

Eventually I began to realize that I learned a lot more about a place when I just sat in parks and sidewalk cafes, indulging in my favorite pastimes of eavesdropping and people-watching, than I did on bus tours or trudging through churches and museums. These nebulous feelings began to coalesce when I read Take Big Bites, by Linda Ellerbee. She has travelled the world over, but is definitely not your typical tourist. She actually prefers to travel alone, for she believes that when a woman travels with companions, she focuses her attention on them and their needs. It is only when she is alone that she truly begins to focus on her surroundings, begins to interact with the local people, and they with her.

Though I will probably never set off on a solo tour through China or India, I have made up my mind that the next time I travel, it will be with a different intention. I wish always to feel the way we did when we visited our grown-up Danish son (former exchange student) and his family, and were able to immerse ourselves in their family life and way of doing things. This week, when I flipped to a new page in my Under the Tuscan Sun datebook, I found a quote from Frances Mayes that sums up my feelings better than I could ever do it myself. She said "If you settle in, even for two weeks, live in a house, not a hotel, and you buy figs and soap at the local places, sit in cafes and restaurants, go to a local concert or church service, you cannot help but open to the resonance of a place..." I am all about opening to the resonance!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to take a trip every summer to the Oregon coast, and we'd drive my mother crazy because my dad would take off one way, and each of the kids would head off in their own direction, and poor mom couldn't keep all her chicks under her hen's wings. But that is what we all needed, some time to just be ourselves, no time, no limits, no obligations. Being just yourself and really taking in the place you are is good for the soul.

Hill Country Hippie said...

My husband would agree with you wholeheartedly. I come from a family that prints up schedules and agendas for all their vacations, but he made it clear to me right from the start, he had no intention of spending his time "off" the same way he spends his work week!

lexlane said...

That Denmark trip was the best! Could have done without the canoes though. We always have really good family vacations, especially now that Austin and I are older.

Hill Country Hippie said...

I was smart and volunteered to stay on shore taking photos. Middle-aged American women just aren't meant to spend hours squatting on their knees in a dugout! Actually, I'm surprised Dad could still walk, by the time we pulled him out.

Gus said...

Beck - You may be surprised to know that Bud and I seldom take tours on our cruises anymore. We much prefer sitting at an ocean front cafe and letting it all soak in. I'm a fool for ocean breezes - Gus

Hill Country Hippie said...

I've been craving a beach fix myself lately. Wanna meet us in Galveston, soon as your tour of duty is over? Of course, we are fixing to head to San Diego, and they do have a beach or two there.

Non Je Ne Regrette Rien said...

Cruising is not my thing either. And I've travelled alone a lot with great success (hell, I've taken that to a whole new level! HA) I guess I'm just an ol' Sagittarian explorer at heart.

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yes, NJNRR, you have taken it to a whole new level, which is why I wrote about you in my 6/6/08 post, "A Real Life Adventurer"!