Sunday, August 3, 2008

BUT NOW I'M BACK...


Half my plants are dead, there's no food in the house, the creek is still bone dry (despite the 2 1/2 inches of rain we supposedly got last week), my hummingbirds have probably jumped ship and gone elsewhere, and I've got piles of dirty clothes to haul to the laundromat, since our washer and dryer are still in Houston. It's the happiest day of my life!

The oddest thing about being a caretaker in Dallas these past two weeks, was that the easier it got, the harder it was. At first, when Carolyn was in the hospital, Mom was at home needing attention, and I was running back and forth between the two of them, the days just flew by. When Carolyn got home, she needed lots of assistance, and Mom needed three meals and three snacks a day (and lots of attention). We had loads of people calling and dropping by, a physical therapist coming to work with Carolyn, and many quick errands to run while he was here with her, since that was the only time I could leave the house. My favorite part of the day was when Carolyn was strapped into her torture machine, and needed me nearby to keep an eye on things, because that was when I finally got to sit down at the computer for a few minutes.

As the days wore on, Carolyn finally started to feel a bit better and was able to do more and more for herself, but we still couldn't leave the house at all. The calls and the visitors subsided, and I grew sick to death of sitting on my tuckus, reading, and watching HGTV. The last couple of days were the s l o w e s t d a y s o f m y l i f e ...

But now I'm back!

2 comments:

Polly said...

Its always so good to get home, isn't it? Dead plants, mountains of laundry and all. But also no demands on your time for a while. Ignore the laundry for a few minutes, fix yourself a nice cup of tea and just enjoy the view from your porch for a while. Everything else will wait, I promise.

Polly

Hill Country Hippie said...

Thanks Polly, that's exactly what I'm going to do!