Sunday, July 13, 2008

TWICE IN ONE WEEKEND? A MIRACLE!





We have moved around a lot during our 33-year marriage. At the top of our priority list upon arrival in a new town, before locating doctors, subscribing to the paper or even unpacking the last box, is finding "our joint." Our favorite Tex-Mex joint, to be precise. Once we have located that, we begin to feel at home. We don't want anything fancy: no high-priced gourmet, no slick franchises, nothing California-style. Just a nice little Mom & Pop, neighborhood joint. For us, that's our comfort food. Unfortunately, we've had some trouble finding just the right one over the last several years. We've tried plenty, and some were pretty good, but still....

On Friday, I had to stop in San Marcos for a mammogram, before heading on to Houston to spend the weekend with John there. On the way to my appointment I passed a place called Casa Maria, on Guadalupe near I-35. Just as I have the other two times I've passed it, I thought to myself "That looks interesting, we should try it some time," then 5 minutes later I forgot all about it. By the time I had finished with the mammo, I was starving, and trying to think of somewhere to grab a bite before heading on to Houston. I had almost settled for a fast food joint, when suddenly Casa Maria came back to me, and I decided to give it a try. The minute I walked through the door, my sensors started to tingle! Could this be the one?

Homey neighborhood feel? Check!
Fresh crispy chips, not too greasy? Check!
Fluffy flour tortillas? Check!
Great salsa? Check - two kinds!
Fajitas just the way I like them? Check!
Decent prices? Check - the fajita plate was only $6.99!
Lime slices for my diet coke? Check!
Decent bathrooms? Pristine clean, with granite counters even!
Bonus? It's a bakery, too!

Oh man, I can't wait to tell John! (to be continued...)

No comments: