Saturday, July 26, 2008

TORTURED ECSTASY

As I said before, it is our parents who shape us into who we are. Perhaps that is why my sister Carolyn and I are at the extreme opposite end of the pendulum from Mom, when it comes to pain and illness. Right now Carolyn is strapped into a torture machine that forces her new knee to bend, straighten, bend, straighten, at ever increasing angles, for two hours at a stretch. I was sitting here at the computer, visiting with her and trying to distract her as the pain increased. She didn't really need me though, for she came up with her own distraction. She is doing her best immitation of Meg Ryan in the diner scene from "When Harry Met Sally", synchronized to the raising and lowering of her knee, and I have probably left a wet spot in her desk chair, I have laughed so hard at her numerous variations.

3 comments:

Eveline Maedel said...

bless your sister for finding a way to laugh through the pain! Hope she heals quickly.

Hill Country Hippie said...

It sure beats the heck out of sobbing!

Unknown said...

Dear Tortured Muse in Exile: I can hear your laughter all the way back home in Wimberley, and I feel your pain in dealing with your Mother. Remember to take care of Becky first, then you'll have something to offer the others. And if this means saying NO to Mom, so be it. Take care. See you soon.