Monday, July 14, 2008

STRICTLY RESEARCH


On my way back from Houston, I happened to be passing through San Marcos right at lunch time. I decided that I should do a little more research, to make sure I had enough information before reporting to you all. Sunday mornings are such a popular time at Casa Maria, I ended up having to park on the street. Inside, every table was filled with large family groups out for Sunday brunch, with strolling mariachis to add to the festive atmosphere.

Instead of the two red salsas that had been served on my previous visit, they brought me one of those thick, bright green salsas that I love. Probably a blend of tomatillos, avocado, and a passel of peppers, this one was extremely spicy. I ordered Migas this time: eggs scrambled with onion, bell pepper and corn tortilla strips, then topped with cheese. Mighty tasty. I was too full after that, to want anything else, but decided to choose something from the bakery to take home. Strictly research, don'tcha know. I zeroed in on the most chocolatey thing they had. "What do you call that?" I asked. It sounded like he called it "Piedras", but I couldn't be sure. When I tried to mimic what he had said, he just laughed and shook his head. "It means rock, in English, because it's big and heavy." Just what I need!

That evening, being short on groceries, I decided to just make a zucchini frittata for supper. I heated up half the "Rock" to go with it, and discovered that it really wasn't heavy at all. I would say it was most like a scone, but probably made from something other than white flour, and the dark chocolate ganache-like topping was divine.

Alrighty then, that's enough food talk for a while. I promise to report on something else next time. I could never be a food writer full time. If I were, my husband says, I'd have to change my name from Hill Country Hippie to Hill Country Hippo!

3 comments:

Price said...

Oh, my...now I'm starving.

I don't think I've commented, but read your posts.

In fact, I just passed along the "Just Plain Fun to Read" award to you at my blog:
http://www.redwhiteandgrewblog.com/2008/07/aw-shucks-maam.html

Hill Country Hippie said...

Wow, thanks! I've seen your comments on Susan's Lifescapes, I think it was, and visited your blog from there.

Eveline Maedel said...

ummm...sounds delish - I'm drooling!