Wednesday, July 30, 2008

BAAA-BAAA

One of the many reasons I am considered the black sheep in my family, involves shoes and purses. As in, I don't have enough. My mother and sister just can't forgive me for refusing to get with the program. I have maybe 4 or 5 purses, and 10 or 12 pairs of shoes. I change my purse with the season, rather than with each outfit. Mom wonders where she went wrong with me. When we were trying to close out my folk's home and move them in with my sister, Carolyn put me in charge of making Mom go through her closet and get rid of everything she didn't really need. Yeah, right! After hours of tears and angst, I finally convinced her to get rid of maybe 2 or 3 pairs, which still left her with at least 98.

Well, Mom is now 84, never leaves the house except for doctors appointments or an occasional trip to the beauty shop, and never bothers to dress except for those occasions. So, imagine my surprise this week when I realized that when Mom switched into a yellow nightgown, she had also put on yellow shoes and changed to a yellow purse, which she then proceeded to carry around the house on her walker all day. I must have been left on the doorstep by gypsies.

2 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I LOVE that story!
I can just see her in all her sunny yellow.
And I like you just the way you are, purses and shoes and all.

Hill Country Hippie said...

The funny thing is, I actually majored in Fashion Merchandising the first time around. I loved pulling together fabrics and colors, but hit a brick wall when it came to the idea of trying to convince people they needed to discard last years stuff and buy all new this year. It just seemed so...wasteful. Have I mentioned that I despise wanton waste?