Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A LAVENDER-INFUSED WEEKEND


It was time for the annual lavender festival, and things were really hoppin' over in Blanco. On Friday evening I headed over to Brieger Pottery to attend a book-signing party honoring Jeannie Ralston, and her recently released The Unlikely Lavender Queen. I was hesitant to go by myself, but shouldn't have been. I ended up having a great time. Saw several people I knew, and met some others. Jeannie thanked me for the Story Circle Network book review I did, and told me that Susan Wittig Albert (founder of SCN) had since called her to set up an author interview. That's what I love about Susan. She's always doing anything she can to help other writers along, instead of treating them like "the competition." Susan later emailed me to see if there was anything I was dying for her to ask Jeannie during the interview. I came up with 2 or 3 questions, and she then wrote back saying she was going to put us down as co-authors on the interview! See what I mean? There was no reason in the world for her to do that, but hey, I'm not complaining!

On Saturday I went back for the Cooking With Lavender class that was to be taught by Sibby Barrett, of Onion Creek Kitchens at Juniper Hills Farm. This time her class was to be conducted at Heron's Nest Farm, herb growers extraordinaire. Unfortunately, Sibby became terribly ill, and was unable to conduct the class. She did manage though, to supervise her assistants as they prepared all the luscious luncheon items she had planned for us, before totally collapsing. We dined on: Lavender Raspberry Coolers; Roasted Olives with Local Goat Cheese and Raisin Rosemary Focaccia Bread; Juniper Provence Roasted Chicken Salad with Caramelized Onion Jam; Salad of Grilled Salmon with Lavender Basil Glaze and Raspberries; Manchego, Apple and Fig Salad with Roasted Shallot Lavender Honey Vinaigrette and Lavender Sugared Pecans; and the piece de resistance - Lavender Scented Mascarpone Fresh Berry Sundaes, and Lavender Infused Truffles. It was all FABULOUS. The recipes should be up on her website if you are interested (www.juniperhillsfarm.com).

Afterwards I made a quick stop at McCall Creek Farm for some fresh produce, strolled the lavender fields at Hill Country Lavender, stopped in at the Arnosky's, then drove happily home, trailing the scent of lavender behind me.

I do have one suggestion for the festival organizers though: I don't know why you insist on holding this thing when the silly plants are in bloom. We all know what the weather is like in Texas mid-summer. Hot. Damn hot. Africa hot. I vote for January!

No comments: