Thursday, May 8, 2008

NUTTY BROWN CAFE





We came home from Natural Gardener via 290 the other day, and decided to stop in at Nutty Brown for lunch. There are a couple of things you need to know about Nutty Brown: don't come here for the food, don't come here to eat inside. Now, I'm not saying the food is bad. It's perfectly OK, but the menu is heavy on artery cloggers. And I'm not saying the inside of the restaurant is bad either. It's just sort of dreary when compared to what's out back: amphitheater, multiple bars and stages, exotic birds, shady live oaks, a playground for the kids, great live music, starry skies and twinkle lights. The property was originally home to Nutty Brown Mills, makers of the famous Nutty Brown pralines. You can still get pralines here, and I believe they are made from the original recipe, but I have a confession to make. Although I have a notorious sweet tooth, I couldn't manage more than a bite or two off of John's praline. The sweetness just about curled my toes. I surely do love that spinning neon cowboy out front though.

1 comment:

Alyson Steakley said...

LOVE the pralines — they are my absolute fave. I don't eat 'em anywhere else. :)