Tuesday, April 1, 2008

WELL POO!

I am in Dallas this week, taking care of Mom while my sister is away on a cruise. I thought this would be the perfect time to do a lot of blogging, since I finally learned how to access my blog from someone else's computer (have I mentioned that I'm technologically challenged?) Unfortunately, I just now realized that although I can access the blog from here, I cannot access all the photos I have taken recently and downloaded onto my computer at home. Double Poo!

I'm still mulling over where I should go with my writing, and how to get there. One thing I love about blogging is that one's audience has fairly low expectations, and high levels of tolerance. They don't hold you to the same stringent standards of excellence that they would if they were reading your very same words in a book, magazine or newspaper. If I want to quote someone, I do give them credit of course, but I don't stop and get their permission first. If I want to mention something I read about, but can't remember where I read it, I just say "I read somewhere recently..." I'm afraid you can't get away with that in the real world. So, while I'd certainly love the expanded coverage and credibility that would come with being a legitimate writer, I'm also lazy. I don't really enjoy doing research, and I'm already quite resentful of all the time I have to spend on the computer. Plus, I just don't know the rules of the game.

I guess that's really the crux of the matter. As with most things I've undertaken, I only hated them at first when I didn't know what the heck I was doing. The more I learned, the easier it got, and the more I enjoyed it. So, the question is, what's the best way to learn a whole lot about writing slice-of-life articles, or maybe even a column, without having to go back for yet another degree?

No comments: