Wednesday, March 26, 2008

LA DOLCE VITA

I know you are tired of hearing me use the word "synchronicity", so let me tell you about the amazing instance of "serendipity" that occurred yesterday. Monday evening I sent an email message to Bella Vista Ranch, home of Texas First Olive Oil Co. (www.bvranch.com), asking them when their pick-your-own blackberry season would begin. Yesterday morning I got a reply from someone named Colleen, saying they did not do that anymore, as they are now using the berries to make country wines and preserves. She asked if I had been to their showroom lately, and had I heard about the upcoming olive picking feast, which Sibby Barrett would be helping with. I replied yes, I had been in their showroom on one of Sibby's Hill Country Excursions last summer, and I was there at Christmas buying lots of their blood orange-infused olive oil to send as gifts. I said I had indeed heard about the upcoming feast, but unfortunately, now that I've left my job in Houston to live here full-time, I can no longer afford things like that (I think it was $200 per person, or thereabouts), but that it was so worth being poor for! She responded with "Well, we occasionally need extra help in the showroom, if you'd be interested in a very flexible, part-time job." Heck yeah! I start Friday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

TOO COOL!!!! this is so amazingly up your alley, Becky!!!

It will be very interesting to see what you do with this opportunity. I know it's just a part time gig, but you're very talented with lots of fertile ideas - I'm sure it will be a neat opportunity for you!

WOOHOOOO!

Ce said...

(okay I used the wrong google account to leave my comment)
TOO COOL!!!! this is so amazingly up your alley, Becky!!!

It will be very interesting to see what you do with this opportunity. I know it's just a part time gig, but you're very talented with lots of fertile ideas - I'm sure it will be a neat opportunity for you!

WOOHOOOO!

Hill Country Hippie said...

Yeah, I sat here for five minutes, trying to figure out who the heck "info" was, before I got around to reading the second comment. I'm pretty excited. If nothing else, it should bring me into contact with lots of other foodies. In fact, it already has. Sibby Barrett, who has the amazing cooking school over in Blanco, is working with Bella Vista to host a fabulous olive picking & feast event in the fall. When she read my comment about not being able to afford to attend, she sent me a note inviting me to be one of her sous chefs there! How cool is that? So what's happening in your neck of the woods?

Becky