Friday, February 22, 2008

MAKE ME MOAN (1/07)


On Saturday we spent most of the day working around the house. Although Austin was good enough to dispose of all the rotten food from the freezer, he didn't want to deal with the multitude of jars and bottles in the refrigerator, so I tackled that first thing. If that weren't bad enough, I still had Christmas stuff to pack up and store. Bummer. Guess I didn't learn my lesson last year. I really hate leaving here at Christmas, going back to work and to market, throwing myself into preparations for spring, then coming back here to deal with the dregs of Christmas. It was all so depressing that I was forced to take a break mid-morning, to watch a little Food Network. Funny thing about that. John bought a fancy plasma television to go downstairs in his bat cave recently, then he ruined our idyllic property by having an ugly old satellite dish installed. Now he's trying to convince me that he can't pick up Food Network on that TV. He says if I want to watch "that cooking stuff", I need to watch it on the mini TV upstairs. What a crock (but pretty amusing, I have to admit). There actually has been a down-side to watching all these food shows, though. It seems to have raised the bar on my expectations. I am no longer content with eating food that is just OK. In fact, last night I watched one of those classic foodie movies - "Big Night", with Tony Shaloub and Stanley Tucci. At the end of their exquisite feast, one woman was face down on the table, sobbing. When asked why she was so upset, she cried "My mother was a terrible cook!" Another man grabbed the chef by the collar, shaking him back and forth, and crying "I could kill you! For making such a wonderful meal, I should kill you!" A few months ago, that would have been lost on me, but now it makes perfect sense. After tasting the divine, he would never again be content with less, and she bemoaned all the years wasted on inferior food.

For the rest of the day, I had a craving for something really special, but I just didn't know what. Deciding what to do about dinner was a problem. Wimberley does have some really good food, but the choices are limited, and we had exhausted them all during our extended holiday stay. After spending the day purging the refrigerator, and knowing that another severe cold front was on its way, I was loathe to go out and restock it right away, so cooking would be difficult. And, since the weather was what you might call yucky, we weren't in the mood to drive over to Austin or Blanco. What to do, what to do? John had the perfect solution. We would put off having to make a decision by going to check out the new wine bar that opened up here not long ago.

It's a homey little place, tucked back amongst the cedars and live oaks, with lovely decks along two sides - the perfect place to sit sipping wine, and watching the sun set on a nice warm evening. But not tonight. Like I said, it's yucky out. Luckily, there was a nice little fire crackling away inside. We each ordered a glass of wine, then decided to try one of their hors d'oeuvres, to hold us down until we made up our minds about dinner. Then we tried another. And a third. When I took my first bite of their mouth-watering pesto bruschetta, I realized that this was it - that special something I had been craving all day. Something that could make me moan. Screw dinner, I decided. I'm staying right here!

No comments: