Friday, November 9, 2007

JUST A LITTLE KINKY (summer '05)


I don't know how it is in other states, but in Texas, we take great pride in our "characters". Take Kinky Friedman for instance, who's running for governor of our fine state. (Don't forget, I'm transferring paper journal entries from the last couple of years to blog now, and haven't yet caught up to real time!) I don't know much about his politics, never read any of his books, and doubt if I could name any of the songs he recorded, and yet I'm a huge fan of his, and just stood in line for quite some time in order to shake his hand and get him to autograph an overpriced tee-shirt for me. Why, you might ask? Because he's living his life to the max and grabbing all the gusto he can get. He personifies the George Eliot motto I keep posted by my desk, "It is Never Too Late To Be What You Might Have Been". When we heard that they were hosting a campaign fund-raiser for him right here in Wimberley at the Wildflower Cafe (who's own motto is Keep Wimberley Wild), we just couldn't resist dropping in. Kinky wasn't the only unabashed character at this function. We had more than a few balding boomers chomping on big cigars. as well as a ZZTop look-alike and a six foot tall, sixty-something biker chick in black leather. We had grandmas and little kids, hippies and hipsters. I guess that's what I love about this place. To quote the cafe owner who was hosting the event - "We not only tolerate eccentricity here in Wimberley, we celebrate it!"

With a campaign slogan like "Why the hell not? How hard could it be?", I had assumed that Kinky was running for office merely as a lark. However, he seemed deadly serious as he told us that he loved Texas with all his heart, but hated the direction its government was heading in, and the fact that it was ignoring Texas' true heroes - the teachers, firemen and policemen. He said that Texas had given him so much, and he just wanted to do whatever he could to help her. You know what? I think I'll have to agree with the used car salesman who said "If that little booger manages to get himself put on the ballot, I just might have to vote for him!"

1 comment:

The Tin House said...

Hi - thanks for the link to this lovely post. It's so great to hear the Kinkster really is a straight shooter in reality. He spends a bit of time here in Australia - your husband will know the character Piers Ackerman who is mentioned in his books. Piers is an Australian right wing tabloid news columnist and I think they're pretty good friends. Don't care much for Piers myself, but that's not to say he isn't a good bloke.

My best friend bought me a Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch calendar for Christmas - it's run by Kinky's sister Marcie....somewhere in Texas. (966 Echo Hill Rd, Medina)

And a few years back she bought me the "Eat, Drink & be Kinky" cookbook written by Mike McGovern...ask your husband. He's another real life character who appears in the books.

I never laughed so much than the first time I read a Kinky. I remember it was late and I was in the bath and I woke my husband up with all the giggles.

Lisa x